My Local Friend is a volunteer organization in Groningen which we run through City Central. From October of 2020, the project has split into two tracks: Welcome Friend for social support, and Taal Friend for Dutch conversation practice. Both of the tracks are designed to put new and old Groningers in contact with each other and help new residents learn the language (Taal Friend) and get to know the city better (Welcome Friend).
Through Taal Friend, we pair up newcomers with locals to practise their Dutch skills through one-on-one conversations and doing activities together in Dutch.
Do you want:
- • Practice and improve your Dutch (at least A2 level)?
- • Meet local people?
- • Learn more about local culture, history, etc.?
- • Going out with a Groningen resident?
- • Get to know the city better?
Do you want:
- • Meet interesting new people?
- • Hang out together with a new resident?
- • See the city through someone else's eyes?
- • Stay involved in the changing urban dynamics?
- • Learn about a different culture?
Join either as a new resident or as a volunteer by signing up for an intake here.
SAFETY DURING THE CORONA PANDEMIC
In light of the coronavirus, your safety is more important than anything else. You do not have to meet in person if you do not feel safe doing so, and please check local rules and restrictions if you do choose to meet in person. You and your match can always stay in touch by telephone, video chat or WhatsApp.